Fire claims life of a Posen man

by Peter Jakey–Managing Editor

It was the house Stanley Kuznicki, 81, of Posen had lived in since it was built along Basswood Road in 1953. He lived there with his parents and siblings when it was constructed in Krakow Township, and when they passed away, he inherited it and continued to live there.

Stanley was there for 61 years, until sadly, fire took him and it in less than a half-a-day.

A postal carrier noticed the smoke last Thursday afternoon. Posen Fire and Rescue was paged at 12:24 p.m.

The site of last week's fire in Posen which claimed a life.

“Once we arrived on scene the house was burned to the ground, there were some hot spots in the basement,” said Captain Terry Buczkowski. “It appears it started during the night.

“It was built of cinder blocks with an upstairs level. So, there was a basement, main floor and an upstairs.” Stanley’s body was located at about 4 p.m.

The fire burned so hot, and was so destructive, that it will be listed as “undetermined.”

Stanley, worked at Farley Fence in Posen for 20 years before retiring, never married.

He did not drive any longer, so his older brother Leo from Alpena took him to doctor appoints, or pay a bill.

The day before the fire, the two went into Posen and Rogers City to get supplies and other items. He was a Posen Knights of Columbus member and attended church regularly on Sunday mornings at St. Casimir Catholic Church.

“He was a very church going person,” said Leo. “There was a neighbor, Joe Romel, who always picked him up for church.”

“He had a great personality and loved to talk to everybody, he was a very friendly person,” said nephew Paul Kuznicki. “He was a very hardworking man.”

The family ordered and delivered firewood for the wood stove, but he still cut some himself and hauled it into the basement.

“He was still a very hard worker, right up until the end,” said Paul.

The funeral arrangements are incomplete and are in the care of the McWilliams Funeral Home.

Nine firefighters were involved in putting the fire out and poured 10,000 gallons on it.

Mutual aid was called, but the trucks were turned back when Posen crews arrived to find it nearly out already.

Crews were clear at about 6 p.m.